The necessity to create a new winery that would be able to fulfill the needs for the production of larger quantities of wine came up after the devastating fire of the year 2004 which destroyed almost completely the monastic complex of the Holy Monastery of Hilandar.
The monks of the monastery soon realized that a larger production would provide them with the resources needed to rebuild the monastery. Up to that time the amount of wine produced was to meet their daily needs. With the aid of a team consisted of experienced experts from Belgrade, new wine - roots were planted in the vineyard of St. Savas Field, which existed since the foundation of the monastery.
Today, the modern winery of the Monastery of Hilandar is housed in a traditional, stone - building with cellars that dates back to 1734 and located near the vineyard of Saint Savas.